Top Ranked in Legal 500 2012-2021:
Barry Grennan is recommended in the Legal 500 2021 edition as a leading junior for his criminal practice on the Northern Circuit, as ‘An excellent advocate who is very thorough.'.
Specialising in criminal defence, Barry is one of the most sought after practitioners in his field and he is regularly involved in cases of the utmost severity and complexity.
Barry has practiced heavyweight and white collar crime for over 40 years, encompassing gangland and other murders; death by dangerous driving, child destruction, firearm offences, drug conspiracies, gross and historic sexual offences. He also has particular expertise in complex multi-handed serious fraud and involved regulatory offences.
Barry also accepts instructions on Prison Law matters, Judicial Review; particularly in the field of police conduct and prisoners' rights and appropriate instructions via the direct access scheme.
Top Ranked in Chambers & Partners 2013-2021:
Head of chambers and a highly respected criminal advocate who attracts plaudits for his work ethic and jury advocacy skills. He specialises as a criminal defence advocate and is often instructed in serious and complex criminal cases. He is an expert on white-collar crime and is vastly knowledgeable on all areas of serious crime, including gang-related murders, sexual offences, people trafficking and infanticide. He also boasts a thriving fraud and regulatory practice.
Strengths: "A real people person - he deals with trials very effectively. He puts clients at ease." "He is tenacious in his representation of his clients."
Recent work: Represented one of the defendants in a people trafficking trial. Represented defendants charged with a drugs conspiracy relating to over £1 million worth of cocaine.
Barry Grennan lectures widely in Ethics and all new areas of the law as and when required and has conducted many successful and well-received CPD accredited lectures.
Hide Full Profile
- R v Pelce (2017): People trafficking conspiracy.
- R v Nugent  - Historic Sexual Abuse Press coverage
- R v William Black  - Conspiracy Press coverage
- R v Connerton  - Rape Press coverage
- R v Robinson  - GBH (S18) Press coverage
- R v Harper  - (Aquittal) - Historic Sexual Abuse - Linked to trial of Ray Teret & Ors
- R v Mohammed  - Murder Trial
- R v Michael Thorpe (2012) - Aggravated burglary - The Law Pages report case here
- R v Smith  - Gangland Murder
- R v Brodie  - Conspiracy to Supply
- R v Deejan  - Rioting
- R v Thorley  - Murder
- R v Massett  - Conspiracy to Armed Robbery
- R v Brooks  - Death by Dangerous Driving
- R v Muzzafer  - Conspiracy to Rape
- R v Doyle  - S18
- R v Tomlinson  - Child Destruction
- R v Ellor  - Car ring
- R v Little  - Conspiracy to Supply
- R v Foster  - Murder
- R v Wayte  - Murder, acquitted
- R v Thorpe  - Burglary resulting in murder
- R v Brown  - Conspiracy to Supply
- R v Carroll  - Murder
- R v Blower & Others  - Death by kicking
- R v McMunn & Others  - Drugs conspiracy
- R v Donaldson & Others  - Gangland
- R v Cikaj  - People Trafficking
- R v Wayne Bryan (2008) - Client was charged with GBH and possession of firearm without certificate - The Law Pages report case here
- R v Parry  - Manslaughter
- R v Wilson  - Child Cruelty
- R v Uddin & Others  - Sex Trafficking
- R v Renke & Others  - Importation of Firearms
- R v Jacobs & Others  - Murder
- R v Mack  - Attempted Murder
- R v Khan & Others  - Murder
- R v Holmes  - Murder
- R v Stringfellow & Others  - Violent Disorder
- R v Evans & Others  - Perverting the Course of Justice
- R v Masters  - Murder
- R v Flanagan  - Importation
- R v O'Hara & Others  - Possession of Ammunition
- R v Loughman & Others  - Murder
- R v Hughes & Others  - Murder
- R v Bromley & Others  - Possession of Drugs
- R v Gallagher & Others  - Importation
- R v Read  - Murder
- R v Lydiate & Others  - Salford Gangland, 3 month trial
- R v Dudson (the Suzanne Capper case)
- London City Bond Importation Pit Bull Fraud:
- R v Hassan & Others  - Money Laundering & Carousel Fraud Sexual Offences: Court of Appeal
- R v Hudson  - Rape, conviction quashed
- R v Garside  - Rape
- R v Vesey  - Rape
- R v Turmaz  - Rape
- R v Craggo  - Multiple Rapes
- R v Batkin  - Rape
- R v Suddons  - Multiple Rapes
- R v Qadir  - Rape
Professional Memberships & Publications